Scams increase near year-end when people are caught up in the generosity of the holidays, online shopping intensifies and they begin preparations for the next tax season. Here are some ways to protect yourself from identity theft:
- Use caution with checks (shred deposit slips and voided checks).
- Carry only those credit cards you absolutely need.
- Keep a list of all wallet contents with contact numbers for each.
- Use extreme care with your Social Security Number (don’t carry the card with you).
- Dispose of mail and tax documents properly.
- Be aware of phone scams and email phishing scams.
- Use complex passwords and make them different for each account.
- Use caution with WiFi hotspots.
- Use a credit card (not debit card) for online purchases.
- Use caution w/commerce sites (like ebay, beezid, ubid, etc.) - - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- Be conscientious about what you share on social media, including photos, likes, preferences, etc.